The Maui News
Jan 30, 2021
• Ke Ao Hali’i’s mission to protect and preserve the natural, historical and cultural resources of Hana, and to maintain the traditional practices of Native Hawaiians of that region. The program focuses on managing the area for the benefit, education and enjoyment of the community. Visit savehanacoast.org/.
• Hawaiian Islands Land Trust in Central Maui focuses on Hawaiian and holistic land conservation. Its goal is to preserve the land and its agricultural resources, wildlife habitats, water resource areas, cultural and historical values, and outdoor recreation opportunities. The nonprofit also provides support services and counsel for property owners whose goal is conversation. Visit www.hilt.org/.
• Kipahulu ‘Ohana in East Maui is dedicated to food security, shoreline management and conservation. The program also operates Kapahu Living Farm, a traditional wetland taro farm located in Haleakala National Park, as well as Kipahulu Kitchen at Kalena Center, a commercial kitchen where Kipahulu ‘Ohana processes its fresh produce, and a space local vendors can rent. Visit kipahulu.org/.
• Kipuka Olowalu’s mission is to restore, protect and preserve the natural, historical and cultural resources of West Maui’s land and nearshore areas. Education about Hawaiian cultural values and the use of organic materials underlines the goal of farming and food sustainability, and community involvement. Visit theolowaluculturalreserve.com/.
• Na Moku Aupuni O Ko’olau Hui in East Maui monitors and collects water quality data to provide accurate information for local farmers. It also manages the streams and trails surrounding the East Maui Irrigation system to make sure there is clean flow and access. Visit www.facebook.com/Na-Moku-Aupuni-O-Koolau-Hui-106290134488255/.
• Na Mamo o Mu’olea has a mission to restore and maintain the area’s natural, cultural, scenic, historic and marine resources for future generations. The nonprofit is located in Hana and has strategic plans for fish, coral reef and native plant preservation, and conducts archaeological surveys to restore infrastructure. Visit muolea.org/.